Monday, January 4, 2010

Story Spinners!


Story Spinner is a handheld creative writing wheel that generates millions of writing ideas, topics, and exercises so you never get stuck. It’s a low-tech item that produces high-caliber results, time after time, no matter where you are. It was invented in 1998 by Bonnie Neubauer.


Coach K had her seniors complete this blog journal and I thought it was great, so we are going to use it, as well, with her permission.  





There is an online version of this game but not what I was looking for in the way of topics, etc. I decided to use this idea and come up with my own "story spinners." I have come up with three options from which you can choose. I will give you a setting, starting phrase and four words that must be used (correctly) in your story. I want the four words to be a different color than the rest of your story, so that I can find them easily! You will use my exact phrase for the opening of your story, but please notice it is just a phrase--not a complete sentence--so you must complete the thought and then begin your story from there!

These stories need to be AT LEAST three paragraphs with no less than five sentences per paragraph.

I also want you to find a picture for your story and place it at the beginning of your post. You may choose to use several pictures throughout your story, as well.


I KNOW you will have fun with this!! :)


Option 1

Setting: Your childhood neighborhood

Starting Phrase: As the old man approached my friends and me...

Four words that must be included in the story: barefoot, bicycle, flashlight, gibberish


Option 2

Setting: A bus stop in Paris

Starting Phrase: The long scar just below her left knee...

Four words that must be included in the story: immature, credentials, squint, roses


Option 3

Setting: A dark alley on a rainy night

Starting Phrase: As I regained consciousness, I remember asking...

Four words that must be included in the story: blame, headlights, stubborn, vestibule

Now, get to work and HAVE FUN!  I can't wait to read what you come up with!