Friday, January 22, 2010

Comma What?


Today we are going to REVIEW your knowledge of commas and semicolons.  After going over our Revising and Editing practice sheet together yesterday, I realized you MIGHT need some more practice before your TAKS test.  So, here we are. 

The first thing I want you to do is take this little Pre-Test.  Don't worry, it's not a TEST, test, just a PRE-Test...I want to know what you know, so I know what to review and what you already know!  :) 

Look at the paragraph below.  It is an excerpt from The Lovely Bones.  I have taken out the commas where they should be.  I want YOU to replace as many as you can!  Copy and paste the paragraph from this blog to YOUR blog, and then add commas where you see necessary.  When you add them, CHANGE THE COLOR, so I can see them easily when I'm looking over it! 

Got it?  GOOD!  Now, get to work! 

HINT:  There are SIX commas missing that need to be replaced.  Good luck!

My father had left our house in the midst of a fight between Lindsey and my mother.  My mother was trying to get Lindsey to go with her to the Y to swim.  Without thinking Lindsey had blared "I'd rather die!" at the top of her lungs.  My father watched as my mother froze then burst fleeing to their bedroom to wail behind the door.  He quietly tucked his notebook in his jacket pocket took the car keys off the hook by the back door and snuck out.